The Borough and Township had roughly equal populations.The Lenni Lenape Native Americans were the earliest identifiable inhabitants of the Princeton area.The house has kept its original staircase, flooring and paneled walls. Aside from safety features like wheelchair access and electrical work, the house was merely restored to its original look.
The first European to find his home in the boundaries of the future town was Henry Greenland. In this drinking hole representatives of West Jersey and East Jersey met to set boundaries for the location of the township.
In the early nineteenth century, New Jersey boroughs had been parish bodies, chartered within existing townships.
Princeton Borough received such a charter in 1813, as part of Montgomery and West Windsor Townships; it continued to be part of Princeton Township until the Act of 1894, which required that each township form a single school district; rather than do so, Princeton Borough petitioned to be separated.
Princeton was founded before the American Revolution and is best known as the location of Princeton University, located in the community since 1756.
Although its association with the university is primarily what makes Princeton a college town, other important institutions in the area include the Institute for Advanced Study, Westminster Choir College, Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory, Princeton Theological Seminary, Opinion Research Corporation, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Siemens Corporate Research, SRI International, FMC Corporation, The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Amrep, Church and Dwight, Berlitz International, and Dow Jones & Company.